Teaching Assistant qualifications explained

If you are looking to enrol on a Teaching Assistant course, you’ve probably seen many different courses for what is essentially the same qualification. It’s very confusing so hopefully the following information will help you. The old NVQ qualifications have now been replaced by what is now known as the RQF framework and this is the official government qualification for Teaching Assistants. RQF is jointly regulated by the England’s regulator Ofqual, Wales DCELLS and Northern Ireland’s CCEA.

Which Teaching Assistant courses are recognised?

If you want to be 100% certain your Teaching Assistant qualification is going to be recognised, you need to choose a course that’s on the RQF framework. RQF qualifications are regulated by OFQUAL (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation regulates qualifications, examinations and assessments in England and vocational qualifications in Northern Ireland) and replace the old NVQ system. IF YOU WANT A FULLY RECOGNISED QUALIFICATION, BE SURE TO CHOOSE A RQF REGISTERED COURSE. All of our home study courses are RQF registered and OFQUAL regulated.

Do I choose a Level 2 or Level 3 course?

There are two different course levels for Teaching Assistants, level 2 and level 3. The difference between the levels is the amount of detail you are tested on. The level 3 course has far more questions in each assignment compared to a level 2 course and it will take you longer to complete it. The level 2 courses are ideal for any-one who hasn’t been in study for a long period of time or would like an easier course to complete.

Do I need to work in a school?

You can choose either a work placement course or a non-work placement course, depending if you are volunteering or working in a school. For work placement courses, you will be assessed by practical observations in the school as well as by written assignments. If you are not working in a school you will be assessed by written assignments only. The work placement courses are called Certificate or Diploma courses and the non-work placement courses are called Awards. Schools accept both course qualifications and it’s easy to upgrade to a work placement course if you start working in a school. Ultimately it will usually be the head teacher who decides which qualification they prefer their Teaching Assistants to have.

What to read next?

See Latest Posts

All cookies are essential to the smooth running of our website.

We want our business to get the most from the web and aim to give you an idea of what cookies we take below:

We apologise for the intrusion but we are required by EU law to advise you of this.

This message will not appear if you continue to browse.

Name Set by/for Description
Google Analytics The site uses Google Analytics to gain anonymous data about people using the site. This helps us to improve user experience.
Brighter Learning These cookies contain information about your Basket as a whole and help Brighter Learning know when you make changes to your Basket. No personal information is stored within these cookies.
wooTracker Woopra Cookie set by the Woopra Analytics software used to measure site performance.